Saturday, March 24, 2012

Week 9: Parent-Teacher Conferences, a New Insight

 


I had the opportunity to participate in my first-ever parent-teacher conferences this week.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't apprehensive at best and terrified at worst!  To my pleasant surprise they went very well and I realized that one of the best ways to get to know your students is to know where they're coming from.  I found out that some of my quietest students have a sense of humor that could have the entire class in stitches.  Other students who seemingly only love joking around are actually huge fans of history and of the class.

It feels good to know that I'm at least making enough of an impact that the students tell their parents about the things they are learning in class.  Not every student will like history, or even the class, but I hope I can reach as many as possible and make a positive impact.  In my own experience in high school, a few of my history teachers made the largest impact of my life (the reason I'm where I am today) and I hope to be that positive force for students down the road.


-MB

No comments:

Post a Comment