Friday, January 20, 2012

Week One: Keys to the Kingdom

Just finished up my first week of "student teaching" which in reality is more a week of paperwork, meeting people, and making sure I have met all of the requirements of the high school bureaucracy (I got my own set of keys!).  I have to say that overall it was a lot of fun to meet the students, meet the faculty and start getting a feel for the school environment.  Over the course of the three days I made three key observations:
  1. Prep period is quiet time - if you happen to be in a classroom with a teacher during their prep, let them lead the conversation, you never know if they have work to do, or just want to stare blankly because a 4 straight hours with 30+ students in the room is definitely an earful....
  2. Students are NOT shy - if a teacher tells the class that you are going to be working with them over the course of the semester and that ultimately you will be in charge of the classroom before you leave, the students minds start thinking immediately about how they can use you to their advantage. After only two days in and around the classroom I have already been asked permission to go to lockers, the locker room, bathroom, and another teacher's room, all in attempts to miss the first few minutes of class.  Be ready, they know you are probably unfamiliar with the finer details of the rules...
  3. Lunch comes slowly and leaves fast - don't get caught up in too many conversations with other teachers during your 20 mins of lunch because the next thing you know the students are returning and you still haven't finished those last few Cheetos or that Pb&j.  Some of the most informative conversations happen during those 20 mins but remember, what's said at lunch stays at lunch...
So now that they have allowed me to get adjusted and feel some semblance of comfort, the word came down today that I will be teaching my first lesson next Tuesday, the topic: Henry II and Thomas of Beckett.  Should be some exciting stuff, though I have to say I'm disappointed I missed out on teaching a lesson on the vikings (always some good fun when you can take out a few monks and steal holy relics...)

Now it's time to enjoy the weekend, take the shirt and tie off and get ready for some AFC Championship football (I failed to mention that Sports Center has NOTHING on the male faculty of the high school history dept... we know the stats, we have our pics, look out Baltimore)

-MB

No comments:

Post a Comment